Miller Multimatic 215 TIG start methods

joea

Good Post Points
Had this unit for a few years and only now getting around to trying TIG with it. The first use for it will be under a vehicle making the foot control use inconvenient.

I did some searching and found some indications that one could start an arc without use of the foot control, but nothing specific to that shows up. Mentions are made of "lif

dstig1

Good Post Points
I'd start by looking up the manual on the miller site. It helps to have your serial number as things change over time with various revisions of the equipment and instructions.

joea

Good Post Points
The manual does not contain that information, just describes how it hooks up and how to create electrode points and estimate proper size. Neither does their web site that I could find.

Rancher Ed

Good Post Points
There are essentially three different ways to initiate an arc for GTAW:
  1. Scratch start - I believe this is the oldest method and it should work on any machine.
  2. High-Frequence (HF) Start - The most common for newer machines with a foot pedal.
  3. Lift-Start - Requires a newer power supply with this option.
Scratch starting sound like what you will need under your car. Once the machine is setup, position your torch were you want to start welding and initiate the flow of your shielding gas. Then quickly drag your filler wire across the area so that it touches both your tungsten and the base material. This will start the arc without contaminating your tungsten. The down side to this method is you have the set the current before you start, which makes it not ideal to for thin materials. I suspect but am not sure this method could be used with a foot pedal for a machine that did not have HF or lift-start options (depress the pedal all the way for full current, start the arc with your filler, then adjust your current with the foot pedal).

Note that there are torch controls available that can do everything a foot pedal can do. They can command the HF start, vary the current as needed, and turn the arc back off at the end while leaving the torch in position to provide post-flow shielding. It looks like you would need an RJ45 to 14 pin adapter (Miller - RJ45 to 14 Pin) and then you could use a Rotary Fingertip Control. Its not cheap, but depending on what you plan to do it might be worth it.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
If it won't lift start without the foot control hooked up ( I think it will ) you can switch to stick and scratch start there.

cwby

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller/Everlast
MM215 should have lift-arc function. Manual shows lift-arc remote position & in stick mode shows lift-arc non remote. Just touch the tungsten & lift to start the arc.

G-manbart

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Millermatic 252, Syncrowave 250DX, Miller Dialarc 250, Hobart Champion Elite, Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
You can always get a fingertip control that will activate the HF....not terribly expensive. It won't allow you to change amperage, but those setups are available as well (a bit more expensive).