MIG

Buckshott

Good Post Points
So what is considered the best "bang for the buck" these days on a MIG welder, (220v, 250+ amps) capable of spray arc?
Are the Hobart machines any good?
I think the hi-tech stuff is very cool but have concerns about software/card failure issues and I think I would prefer basic, solid performance & reliability to fancy bells & whistles.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Hobarts, at least the older models are durable, my Handler 125 is nearly 20yrs old, and after a few 100 lbs of flux core run through it, the fan is the only thing that is need of being replaced. I also have the 210 MVP and it has been issue free for the last 9yrs.

For spray arc, I would opt for a Miller or ESAB if not wanting to spend for a Miller.

California

Good Post Points
So what is considered the best "bang for the buck" these days on a MIG welder, (220v, 250+ amps) capable of spray arc?
Are the Hobart machines any good?
I think the hi-tech stuff is very cool but have concerns about software/card failure issues and I think I would prefer basic, solid performance & reliability to fancy bells & whistles.
250+ amps? What's the application?

Buckshott

Good Post Points
Hobarts, at least the older models are durable, my Handler 125 is nearly 20yrs old, and after a few 100 lbs of flux core run through it, the fan is the only thing that is need of being replaced. I also have the 210 MVP and it has been issue free for the last 9yrs.

For spray arc, I would opt for a Miller or ESAB if not wanting to spend for a Miller.
Ya...I wish Miller wasn't so expensive. Sounds like the Hobart's have been good rigs for you.
Thanks for replying.

California

Good Post Points
I enjoy spray-arc when building & working on tractor implements & equipment. It's great for heavy gauge steel. welds clean & pretty and has great penetration.
That's a world I know nothing about. Do you have some photos of your projects, or anything similar that illustrates spray arc?

AnotherBueller

Good Post Points
Welder
Everlast MTS 251Si
I have a 4-5 yro Everlast Power MTS 251sI runs on110 or 240 has DC only 200A with a 40% duty cycle (haven't hit it yet) Stick,Tig, Mig that will do spray.
Expensive but bought it under the principle of buy once, cry once. Eveerything I read prior to buying said it was a fab shop level machine. While I've got a looong way to go it's made me a better welder than the Millers I learned on at the Jr collage. For what its worth, I would recommend it to any one.