Lighted Sphere Project

kenmbz

Good Post Points
Welder
none yet
Seems to not be many people on this site.
Got my welding table and cart. Wire came in so ready to start project.
Hope you all have a great day.

kenmbz

Good Post Points
Welder
none yet
Got 2 of the hoops welded up last night.
Still learning the settings. Had the voltage up too high to start, wire does not dissipate heat like flat stock.

2Hoops20211202_175417.jpg

kenmbz

Good Post Points
Welder
none yet
In final shape and last weld done. Now cleanup and paint. Then lights get attached.
GlobeCompleteWeld20211205_102737.jpg

kenmbz

Good Post Points
Welder
none yet
Strung the lights using green zip ties. 3 strings of 70 5mm lights.
Put outside for a test run. Now SO has requested I make another one in green and slightly smaller.
lighted sphere20211212_191122.jpg

California

Good Post Points
The lamp is gorgeous!

Up in post#3 I see the table is plated. Looking online, I see the plating is zinc. Is that safe to breathe?

Good Post Points
The lamp is gorgeous!

Up in post#3 I see the table is plated. Looking online, I see the plating is zinc. Is that safe to breathe?
no it is not safe to breathe though we did for about 30 years then OSHA moved in but they still didn't catch em all but only when we had to cut or weld it drilling or punching holes not as bad

Shy Bishop

Good Post Points
Welder
Vulcan 215
Your set up is similar to mine, except I could only afford the Harbor Freight route. I also noticed that you had a concrete floor in your garage. Good for you.
My equipment is set up in an old indoor riding ring for horses. It comes with a leaky tin roof, walls with gaping holes, and a dirt floor. I cover my welding cart with my welding jacket. Over that I put an old plastic shower curtain that hangs down on all sides. I keep my helmet and gloves in an old chest freezer. Not pretty at all, but it works.

California

Good Post Points
Your set up is similar to mine, except I could only afford the Harbor Freight route. I also noticed that you had a concrete floor in your garage. Good for you.
My equipment is set up in an old indoor riding ring for horses. It comes with a leaky tin roof, walls with gaping holes, and a dirt floor. I cover my welding cart with my welding jacket. Over that I put an old plastic shower curtain that hangs down on all sides. I keep my helmet and gloves in an old chest freezer. Not pretty at all, but it works.
It must be nice to weld indoors. Too much fire hazard in the old open-front barn stall (photo in winter) that is my shop. And ten miles inland from the ocean, rust is an issue.

Pro :) tip: Ikea's 99 cent jumbo blue-tarp bag makes an excellent welder cover. That, plus a larger tarp over the welder, table saw, etc group, helps some.

The little Amico - the only welder in the list below that I bought new - stores in its own Ikea bag in a filing cabinet drawer. Time will tell if this is effective. I just bought a batch of desiccant packets to put there and in my toolboxes.

Good Post Points
would it be possible to turn your welding apron around back wards? that is a pretty sensitive area to catch on fire by catching sparks in them pockets and not notice for the length of a welding rod while welding.

California

Good Post Points
would it be possible to turn your welding apron around back wards? that is a pretty sensitive area to catch on fire by catching sparks in them pockets and not notice for the length of a welding rod while welding.
Good point. That's a leather apron (from HF) so I assume it would smoke and smell awful as the first stage of sparks in the pockets.

But it could just as well be worn with the opposite face outward.

In 2016 I bought a Hobart 770686 Black Cotton Welding Apron.
What a joke. It's an apron for washing dishes! Way thinner than Levi's. I don't remember a fireproofing tag on it. And the top was far lower than my armpits, essentially no chest protection. I sewed the neck band shorter and hung it in the kitchen for cooking. Maybe it was intended for a BBQ chef. Went back to using the leather apron.