Does anyone really know how long rods or flux core wire last

chuckinnc

Good Post Points
Due to virus shutting schools down I have the grandkids thru the week, decided to cleanup the welding area, dig out the equipment and teach the grandkids and ME something about using the Stick, Mig and ebay plasma cutter. First off I had bought alot of 6011,5013 and 7014 rods, they are years old but kept inside the house not in the workshop, I also have 4 rolls of unopened flux wire for the mig. I know they have shelf life but how long are they really good for?
a

California

Good Post Points
I got a mostly-full 25 lb box of 6011 that was likely 20 years old when I got it, added for $10 along with buying a wooden orchard ladder, from a farmer 15 years ago.
I think so long as the coating is intact its fine for the rough work I do. Certainly adequate for your kids to learn with. Cleanliness of the material being welded makes more difference than the age of 6011 in my experience.

Earl Ohl

Good Post Points
I have some electrodes that I know are at least 40 years old. Most are in sealed containers. Most weld very well, but sometimes I get some that the coating flakes off and I just throw those away. If I'm welding something critical that could cause injury if the welds failed, I buy new electrodes and use those. I also use new electrodes if I'm doing a job for someone else.

Earl Ohl

Good Post Points
I bought those old electrodes at a neighbor's estate auction many years ago. He used to do welding and he had a forge, which I did not get, unfortunately. Most everything went cheap and I bought a lot of stuff.

California

Good Post Points
What about the age of flux core wire before it should be discarded?

I was given several 2 lb spools of flux core, some of them sealed, when I bought the last two welders in my sig from a hobbyist who had moved up to better gear. One spool is the HF wire that came with the HF welder (a black model that was first sold about 2010). I expect other spools are more recent as he experimented to improve on that. I don't notice much difference trying the various spools that are already open.

California

Good Post Points
I wonder if my 6011 that I bought along with an old 14 ft wooden ladder is that old. The box was in a dusty corner of the farmer's barn next to a 1920's one-ton truck that he had chopped the top off of, to go through his orchard. It's been many years since such a truck could have legally carried his harvest lug boxes on public roads to the packing house. But I've only found loose flux on a couple of the rods.

Biggermore

Good Post Points
The bad thing about welding rods is they absorb moisture. What you can do is warm them in a oven to purge the moisture but as they cool off they will regain moisture. Generally what welding shops do is buy a heater specially built to keep rods warm. Or use a refrigerator that no longer keeps things cold, when your refrigerator no longer cools it keeps thing warm. By the way 6011 rods are known as "farmers rods" because a 3 year old can strike an arc 7018 is just too hard and most people will give up because the rod gets tapped to break the flux then stick. A rock doesn't arc out it is hard enough to break off the flux. But everyone who is starting out must remember the first two numbers are the tensile strength the second two number are the application. which is a good reason for people just starting out to get a welding rod size and application chart this will show you the size and type of rod and general idea of what they are used for. also give you a general idea of what to set the welder on. The more you know the better choices you can make. Learning to weld is like learning anything else it takes practice. And patience.

StuckRod

Good Post Points
Moisture in the flux is the problem really, and not the age of the rod or wire.

But blaming the rod or wire on its age, is pretty typical for welders. When I was working for the railroad, one welder claimed the welding machine was "junk" and had the company rent a welder for him to use. There was a ton of welding to do, so I used the "junk" welder and made beautiful welds with it. I do not have a big ego at all; the point was, the welder was blaming the equipment when it was him that was the real problem.

StuckRod

Good Post Points
I think the biggest thing to know about starting a weld with a stick rod is that the goal is no never really strike the rod onto steel. It is arc welding, so you are trying to establish an arc as soon as possible. It is no different than a spark plug, you need a GAP.

I typically scratch start...like a match, but I can tap it too.

With 7018 rod, the flux will coat the rod after a weld is made. That is why it is harder to start a weld with a previously used 7018 rod. BUT here are three tips to help with that.

1. If you are welding alone, immediately after making the weld, "flick" the rod hard. The ball of slag will fly off the rod and you can start the rod again easier. (A welder got into the habit of doing this, and I was fitting pipe for him, and I was constantly getting burned. Only do this while welding alone!")

2. AFTER the rod is cooled, take your thumb and break off the little nib of flux that forms over the rod end.

3. Take a piece of lumber...wood...and while the rod is still hot, bury it in the wood. It will keep the slag from forming over the rod.

Try any of these three tips and you will readily see what I mean. I prefer the wood block method because it does not cause burns or fire danger like #1, and it does not cause the tip of your glove to burn out).

harleyron74

Good Post Points
What about the age of flux core wire before it should be discarded?

I was given several 2 lb spools of flux core, some of them sealed, when I bought the last two welders in my sig from a hobbyist who had moved up to better gear. One spool is the HF wire that came with the HF welder (a black model that was first sold about 2010). I expect other spools are more recent as he experimented to improve on that. I don't notice much difference trying the various spools that are already open.
I have never seen any hard data on the life span of mig or flux core wire. The welding supply outfit I use told me year's ago to just keep it clean and dry so it doesn't rust. I buy lot's of wire at auction and store it in an old freezer that has A 100 watt incandescent light bulb burning continuously. Keeps everything nice and dry

woodreaux

Good Post Points
Welder
lincoln ac dc+/- "Tombstone" stick welder
I have cans/boxes of 30 year+ welding rods open in my shop that were given to me several years ago, I do not have them in a dehumidifier cabinet and they work as they should! I am not against keeping rods dried out but.....

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
I wouldn't weld a trailer frame with them but I have cellulose rods that are sticky from the heat sweating them out that still weld fine for just sticking non weight bearing parts together.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
I also have some rods that act up from time to time.
Usually it is because they are humid.
In fact some rods must be kept in a rod oven,
For my acting up rods I simply use the kitchen oven from time to time.

A 'rod oven' is on my 'to do list', even a wooden box with a 60 watt light bulb could do the trick.

Norm W

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 225, Lincoln Tombstone 225 stick, Montgomery Wards DC converter, Hobart mig
Every time I fired up the oven to bake anything the smoke alarm went off. That was before trying to cook anything. So now I keep most all of my welding rod in the oven. It has a pilot light, so that keeps the temp up and the rod dry. I wouldn't suggest this if SWMBO also uses the oven for food.

mrbearski

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln AC225, Century 155GL
I built an insulated box to store paint and varnish to extend its life and started with 100 watt light bulb as a heat source. I have a thermocouple inside that turns on light when temp goes below 80 degrees and off at 100. I put a cheap dial thermometer on the side so I could monitor the temp and was noticing it was not keeping temp up where it should. Bulb just was not lasting. Got a "lizard lamp" that radiates heat but no light and it has been working great. Since I've gotten back into welding recently, I've been storing my rods in there as well and had no problems, even with the Georgia humidity.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
I just tested some 10yr old 6022 electrodes. Granted they were vac sealed, They ran perfectly. Low hydrogen rods will cause the most trouble when they get old but some of the others actually like a little humidity. as long as the flux is doing it's job, run them. Cored wire will tell you right away if it is no good.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
How long do rods last?
Simple, build a heater box (AKA, rod oven).
That can be as simple as a wooden box and a 100 watt bulb.
Baring that borrow your wife's oven when ready to weld.