Cheapest '190 amp' stick welder - on Amazon - $110

California

Good Post Points
I read a thread somewhere that said there are now generic cheap stick welders that are surprisingly competent. The poster owned more than one, because he had bought more as units with higher rated amperage became available. He said expect maybe 3/4 of the claimed amperage as a practical working limit.

Here is the cheapest of many near-identical units on Amazon.

At $110 plus $30 for a four year warranty - what's not to like?

• 6.3lb/2.85kg net weight, size:4*9*4.9 inch.
  • Welding 7018 1/8" very well, also 6013 and 7018 3/32"
  • with electrode holder, earth clamp, ready to use
  • Rated voltage: 110/220V(50/60HZ)
    Rated input current: 32.2A
  • 1 YEAR WARRANTY
    No-load voltage: 64V
    Rated output voltage: 20.4-29V
    Output current: 10-190A
    Duty cycle (40C): 40%
6 lbs sounds convenient.
Disadvantages include short cheap cables, but with standard Dinse connectors so you could use cables off another welder.
I looked at reviews of other welders this importer has sold for a while and their customer service seems ok.

Comments welcome - does this look suitable for DIY hobby projects and occasional farm repairs? Anybody have experience with this type of welder?

71HCftYdyhL._AC_UL400_SR300,400_.jpg

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
Comments welcome - does this look suitable for DIY hobby projects and occasional farm repairs? Anybody have experience with this type of welder?
I don't have experience with one like that but you should be aware that you can buy a good used Lincoln, Miller or Hobart machine for the same price. No one really knows for sure how long those machines can last. I had a Lincoln AC/DC tombstone buzzbox that I recently sold to a buddy that ran fine and it was almost 70 years old.

California

Good Post Points
... you should be aware that you can buy a good used Lincoln, Miller or Hobart machine for the same price. No one really knows for sure how long those machines can last. I had a Lincoln AC/DC tombstone buzzbox that I recently sold to a buddy that ran fine and it was almost 70 years old.
I have something similar to that Lincoln, a $50, 50? year old 100+ lb AC stick welder. (see below). Its a nuisance just to roll it out of storage and rassle it over to set up where I can weld. I'm curious if this little 6 lb toy might be more convenient for lighter projects. That 230A Powr-Kraft has never tripped a 30 amp breaker so apparently I'm not using the upper one-third of its potential power. I agree reliability is uncertain, I expect the heavy old transformer welders will outlast anything that is based on transistor technology.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
I wonder if it uses IGBT's or Mosfets. ? if it's Mosfets I'd pass. It will likely last a year.

California

Good Post Points
I wonder if it uses IGBT's or Mosfets. ? if it's Mosfets I'd pass. It will likely last a year.
'IGBT Inverter Welding' on the face panel.

I would buy the 4 year warranty for $30 with this.

In my use, it would have only several hours total use over 4 years. I'm mostly making farm repairs. This clearly isn't a tool to run for hours on end in a production shop!

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Well, There's not too many secrets out there so for 130.00 and a 4 yr warranty to should be in good shape. I see the imports on E-bay sometimes for 89.00. The cables, stinger, ground, 115v adapter and dinse plugs cost half of what they want. You could even do scratch start Tig with it too. But to answer part of your original question, Yes there are thousands of people using the small DC units similar to this. If they have IGBT's that is one good thing. If they have power factor correction that is good #2 VRD is good #3 and Lift tig is good #4. So without those extra features you just have a little trouble running on a long extension cord on 115v. Get a 10 or 12ga. You'll have to scratch start if you decide to do steel or stainless Tig and be careful not to touch both output ports at the same time with the amps turned up. Just plug in the cables before amping up. If I didn't have 7 welders already I'd buy one. Maybe I'll buy one anyway. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
i have watched some video of the hitbox welder and if I recall correctly even on 220 it would only put out about 90 amps. in that same price range on amazon is a line put out by YESWELDER, I have the 165amp arc welder and a 205 Mig they make and both perform well.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
On E-bay there are about 50 welders in this price range. Every company in China must make them.

California

Good Post Points
For a ultra-cheap welder of questionable reliability I would definitely go through Amazon instead of an Ebay guy who imported a pallet of them and no spare parts. I would also avoid a welder listed on Ebay that will be built by some unknown in China after your payment clears, and sent with instructions to ship it back to China if it fails. Amazon is better than Ebay if something goes wrong.

I learned the 110/220 welder I described above has a 220-only older 'twin' with decent customer comments in the 3 years it has been sold on Amazon. One said it ran far too hot with 1/8" rod set to maximum, it has higher amperage than he needed. Several commented they never hit the overheat timeout. A couple of units failed and were immediately replaced, they were pleased with the dealer's support.

Overall, these seem satisfactory for the low price.

Here's the 220-only version that has been on Amazon for three years and has over 100 customer reviews, rated 4/5 stars. I'm really tempted to try one.

welding seabee

Good Post Points
Sounds good in their promotional type add. If I was to buy one I would keep my 60 yr old transformer/rectifier 230A M/W AC/DC machine till this one proves itself. I am always leary of these Chinese products dumped on our market. A lot of negative reviews never see daylight or folks just throw it away and forget it. My SIL bought a cheap HF MIG unit and we could never get it to work per the manual which was vague anyway. My M/W is heavy yes, but it is mounted on a HF cart and works just fine on a 50' #6 extension cord (its on a 50A breaker. Run out another 50' of welding lead and still same performance. It Runs 5/32 with no problem either. I am one who runs his arc at the highest amps possible. Never look at the scale on the machine, just the puddle and set to that..

Ron