A log arch for our really small Kubota B5100.

barts

Good Post Points
Welder
AC/DC stick, MIG, oxy/acy, spot welder
<first project post>

I need to move some downed cedar logs around on our place in WA; these are slated for heavy lumber for some outdoor projects such benches, raised bed planters, etc To that end I've been spending some of our Covid time in California welding up a log arch that I can winch up 12' x 2' logs and move them w/o dragging with our little tractor. The heavy sections are 3"x3" x 3/16" wall scrap, and braces are 2 or 3" x 1/2" bar. Welds are 7018, almost all downhand. Wheels are ex-golf cart from a Burning Man vehicle; winch is from a previous project. The arch detaches from the beam to make it easy to fit on and into our truck for transport.
I drilled the holes on the Bridgeport so everything lines up ok; otherwise it was built in the driveway and on a 15" x 36" welding table (all I have room in CA). I look forward to building a new shop in WA.

I painted it orange so it kind of matches the tractor and so I don't lose it in the woods. :)

Hope to test it next month.

- Bart

IMG_20200425_174954.jpgIMG_20200425_175013.jpgIMG_20200425_175115.jpg

AP

Good Post Points
Welder
miller maxstar 150
When you transport a log with so much of the load rearward of the wheels, doesn't it try to lift the tongue off your tow hitch?

barts

Good Post Points
Welder
I finally remembered I took some pictures of my log arch in action:

IMG_20200823_134020.jpg

I definitely want to add a upside down V at the front to restrain the log from twisting from side to side, but I managed to move 14 cedar logs like this; they're stacked clear of the ground, ready for milling into rough outdoor lumber - benches, raised bed borders, etc. I've started felling trees where these logs were so I can get started on the new shop.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
That is one big cedar tree. They dont grow that big here not even 75 year old trees are half that size.

barts

Good Post Points
Welder
That is one big cedar tree. They dont grow that big here not even 75 year old trees are half that size.
We'd have left them in place, but they were too close to our new house. I think we have some that are at least 3 feet in diameter.

In the Pacific Northwest we get lots of rain, which they seem to like. Here's a Western Red Cedar from the Olympic Peninsula, which gets 10x our 30 inches a year.
1614886071202.png